Tuesday, January 18, 2011

How to Blow Up a Balloon...

Here is yet another carbon dioxide experiment that was just a blast.  We poured baking soda into balloons using funnels.  If you blow up the balloon first, then let the air out, it makes the baking soda go in easier.  Then we poured the vinegar into bottles.  I helped the kids stretch the balloon top over the top of the bottle.  They lifted up the balloon making the baking soda pour into the vinegar.  The carbon dioxide that was created began to blow up the balloon.  Oh my goodness....it was so exciting!  I hope you have a big bottle of vinegar, because you can't do this one just one time. 






Pin It

6 comments:

Elle Belles Bows said...

Great activity! So much fun! Kerri

Cathy @ NurtureStore said...

Oh wow! I've never seen this before, my girls will love it. Blowing up balloons always makes me light-headed - got the perfect solution now! Thanks for sharing a great science idea with our Play Academy.

Unknown said...

LOVE this one! We have a rocket that works with the same stuff...if "flies". My youngest loves it!

Jessy - Science Sunday
http://oursideofthemtn.blogspot.com

Phyllis said...

I had the same reaction when we did this experiment. They went wild!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

It's been a while since we've done this - I bet the little ones would enjoy it!

Ticia said...

That experiment always has such a great wow factor to it.