Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Gelatin Cake

I use to make these for the kids in my class but this is the first one I made for my own.  It was amazing to see how long it kept their interest.  They poked it, put color in it, squished it and made jelly snakes out of it.  I dissolved 4 packages of Knox gelatin into 3 cups of hot water.  I sprayed a mold, (you can use a bowl, pie pan, cake pan, whatever) with cooking spray and then poured in the liquid.  Then I put it in the refrigerator overnight.  When it is solid, it plops right out of the mold. You could make a bigger one, the ratio is 3/4 cup of water to 1 packet of powder.  You could just give the kids straws to poke through it.  My son had the most fun doing that.  You can pipe color into the mold by using droppers and colored water.  You can tell by the last picture....they totally dissected the gelatin cake.  A fabulous science experiment.




Pin It

11 comments:

shae said...

What great sensory play!

Caz said...

Awesome idea, Ive never seen one of these before, it looks like so much fun! So easy to make too, thankyou for sharing the idea :-)

Elle Belles Bows said...

That is a fabulous activity! I will definitely save it for the future! Thanks for sharing! Kerri

Isil Simsek said...

I like this,Iam sure my kids will,too.thx :)

rachelle | tinkerlab said...

Thanks for the inspiration! We've been excavating ice, and I thought this would be the perfect follow-up activity. We tried this today and it was a huge hit with my 2.5 year old.

rachelle | tinkerlab said...

Oh, and here's a link to our jello experience :)
http://tinkerlab.com/2011/02/jell-o-excavation/

Jamie @ hands on : as we grow said...

I love this idea! Sounds fun and messy!! Not sure if my son will go for the messiness, but I think we'll give it a try!

http://handsonhouse.blogspot.com

Jamie

Jamie @ hands on : as we grow said...

I love this idea! Sounds fun and messy!! Not sure if my son will go for the messiness, but I think we'll give it a try!

http://handsonhouse.blogspot.com

Jamie

Unknown said...

OK. Should I make this? ;) They look like they totally enjoying themselves! :)

Thank you for joining us in last week's High paw! Hope to see you joining us again! :)

Anonymous said...

We included this in our 'treasury' of unique sensory play ideas at our blog, MPM School Supplies Blog! We were sure to give photo/idea credit, as well as a link back to your site, but we'd love your feedback!

Please let me know if there are any problems!

Thanks so much,
Kayla Johnson

Unknown said...

Wow! Looks like so much fun! Thanks for sharing!