Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The "Lantern Jack" Story

I have been telling this story for a very long time and have no idea where I got it.  This is how I tell it, but obviously you can change it up however it suits you.  All you need is a piece of paper, we use any color, even white works, and some scissors. 

Once upon a time, in a big forest, there lived a little mouse.  He didn't have any friends.  One day he decided to go out into the forest to find a friend.  He took our his map, (the paper) and folded it in  half, so it would fit in his pocket. He walked all the way around the forest, (cut around the outside of the paper to make a circle), but he didn't see anyone. So....



he climbed the biggest tree he could find, he climbed all the way to the top, (cut zigzag and back down the other side to make a tree shape), He still didn't see anyone.  So...

Then, he saw a dark cave, and peeked in.  It was too dark in there, so he moved on.
Then, he saw a little house,  he looked through the window, (fold the top and cut a circle shape), I always let the kids look through the circle, and guess what he saw?
A Lantern Jack.....(as my daughter calls it)!
 
I told this story over an over again yesterday.  They can't seem to get enough of it.  Sometimes I change up the animal to a troll, or zebra.  After awhile, the kids tell the story as I cut. 
Pin It

7 comments:

Kym said...

LOVE it! Lincoln will love this. I keep posting your awesome ideas on Pinterest. I hope you're getting lots of readers. You need to start getting some sponsors & making some $$ for all your ideas.

Time For Play said...

Haha...I like the way you think, Kym! Wow is L is getting so big. It would be great to get some sponsors, but, really, I am just super happy knowing people like what I do and that I am inspiring others to get their play on!
Thanks for pinning my stuff...Pinterest is sooooo addicting!

Unknown said...

Thanks again, my daughter and son's classes loved this one for our fall festival activities.

Anonymous said...

I found this recently and used it. My pre-k class loved it! Even my aide was a bit surprised when the pumpkin was revealed. It seemed so obvious to me! What fun.

Anonymous said...

I told the story this past week with my pre-k class. They loved it and were surprised (though it seemed so obvious to me). Thanks!

OneMommy said...

So cute! Got to try this! Pinned it!

karena said...

Thanks for your idea. I did this story in my library Halloween storytime today and they loved it! My first cut and tell story. :-)

Karena