Saturday, October 1, 2011

DIY Colored Sand

I read somewhere that you can make colored sand by simply adding a few drops of food coloring to the sand.  Really?  I had a hard time believing, so of course, I tried it.  This sand is from our sand box, but I did sift it to remove the pebbles.  We put the sand in bottles, added the colors of our choice, put the lid on and shook.  To my happy surprise, it sure enough did make colored sand!  Yippee!  That store bought type is so expensive and I just hate sweeping that expensive sand into the trash. Woot Woot! 
 Try it, it is so fun!






Those are raw walnuts in the sand table, in case you all are wondering.
Pin It

3 comments:

Rachel Kaylynn said...

What a great discovery! Thanks for sharing, I think we will have colored sand at our house very soon.

Kristin @ Preschool Universe said...

Good to know! Does the color rub off on your hands?

Time For Play said...

Krisrin, no, it doesn't rub off. It really is so cool. Wish I had discovered this a long time ago!